Playing a musical instrument can be the most fascinating hobby you can develop and the feeling of playing your first song would surely take you to a different world. An instrument like the best harmonica can be a nice way to enter into the serene world of music and if you are prepared to begin with this journey, here’s everything you’ll need in your bag pack.
Why is the Best Harmonica a Great Instrument to Learn?
Harmonica (popularly known as mouth organ) stands among the most beginner-friendly musical instruments, making it a good option to begin with. A best harmonicas is an abode to numerous health benefits along with being an incredible way to kill time productively.
If you’re dubious about learning harmonica, here are few reasons for resorting to the best harmonica for beginners.
1. Easier to learn
The majority of beginners quit learning a musical instrument because they are time-consuming and the progress is pretty slow. But the case isn’t that drastic in the case of a harmonica! The most appreciable advantage of going for the best starter harmonica is – IT’S EASY TO LEARN!
The difficulty level of a harmonica is much lower than that of any other complicated musical instrument like a guitar or a keyboard and thus, there are much lesser chances of quitting your harmonica lessons in between.
The best blues harmonica is quite popular among intermediate and advanced harmonica players as the euphonious vibes of blues are unrivaled when played on this satisfying instrument.
2. Relaxes the mind
Musical instruments are the most underrated form of therapy one can go for. Instruments like harmonica offer proven health benefits like calming down your mind and body (as a consequence of the release of endorphins), which is yet another reason to go for a good harmonica.
In addition to this, the divine vibrations of harmonicas help in overcoming depression, anxiety, stress, insomnia, and much more, and thus, it won’t be incorrect to call it a wholesome psychological gourmet.
3. Standing out of the public
Having a hobby like playing a musical instrument actually makes you more confident to stand among your colleagues and friends and going for the best starter harmonica can prove to be an excellent decision.
4. Helps in improving coordination
Musical instruments like harmonica emphasize improving your motor skills. A harmonica player needs to focus on different tasks simultaneously while playing the harmonica, which includes controlling the notes, breathing properly, syncing with the beat, etc., and thus, it’s an excellent way of improving your brain’s coordination.
5. Easy to carry
Harmonicas are genuinely the most portable musical instruments that you can spot in the market. They can be compact enough to be carried in your pocket. Thus, all you need is to take out your harmonica from your pocket and start shining on the stage!
The best harmonicas set commands for a much lower price as compared to other similar instruments like flutes, trumpets, etc, which is again one of the most significant reasons to go for it.
7. Instills discipline
Like every other instrument, playing harmonica also demands sheer discipline, commitment, and practice. Since this instrument will be a significant part of your daily routine, it will encourage discipline in your life.
The advantages of going for the best harmonicas set are not confined merely to the above-listed benefits. These mini instruments offer several other benefits like preventing respiratory issues, improving memory, helping in time management, and lots more.
Best Harmonicas – Buying Guide
If you feel compelled by harmonicas and planning to invest in the best harmonica to learn on, here are the factors that a buyer needs to consider before buying the best harmonicas.
Factors to Consider to Get the Best Harmonica in Your Budget
Since your choice of harmonica will determine your overall learning experience, here are some factors to look into before investing in the best harmonicas in your budget.
1. Deciding the type of harmonica
Harmonica markets have 3 different types of harmonicas to offer – chromatic, diatonic, and tremolo and each of them possesses different specialties. Thus, knowing what you need beforehand is extremely crucial.
- Chromatic harmonicas
The best chromatic harmonica comprises a level for channelizing air to different reed plates. These reed plates are designed on the 12-tone western scale and thus, all you need is to play this aristocratic instrument by practicing on your desired scale.
Another appreciable specialty of these harmonicas is that you can master any scale on them with some practice. Besides, you can also play comparatively more chords and effects as compared to a diatonic harmonica.
But if you are a beginner, we don’t recommend jumping on chromatic harmonicas as they are much more difficult to play than a diatonic harmonica. Thus, it’s advised to master simpler harmonicas like diatonic before going to something more complicated like the best chromatic harmonica.
- Diatonic harmonicas
Diatonic harmonicas are considered a one-stop destination if you’re considering buying the best harmonica for beginners. These harmonicas are quite popular when it comes to playing blues, folk, or pop music.
Many experienced diatonic harmonica players have found out different ways of over-blowing and note-bending to play these harmonicas on keys other than the tuned scale but you need to go into much-complicated stuff if you are a beginner.
Price is another factor that makes the best diatonic harmonica a go-to option for beginners. They are much cheaper than chromatic harmonicas and thus, you can keep a collection of harmonicas to play.
- Tremolo harmonicas
Tremolo harmonicas are harmonicas of a different league and are used by professional harmonica players. They work by using two reeds per note (a sharp and a flat note) to produce a unique warbling sound with a beating effect.
Tremolo harmonicas are popular in pop and Asian rock music and sometimes in folk songs (for a rustic effect).
Other than these majorly-used harmonicas, there are several other harmonicas, which are as follows:
- Chord harmonicas
- Orchestral harmonicas
2. Microphone friendliness
Since the world of music is electric today, considering the microphone friendliness of a harmonica is quite crucial. Harmonica players have decent options for microphones to choose from, ranging from dynamic vocal mic to specialized harp mics.
Talking about harp microphones, these mics possess volume knobs for preventing irritating squeals during the concert. Besides, their compact size enables the player to shield the mic with their hands.
3. Comb quality
The comb is the most important component of a harmonica. The air chambers embedded in the comb covers the reeds, which allows the harmonica to function. You can find 3 types of comb qualities in the market.
- Wooden comb: wooden combs offer warmer sounds and will surely fascinate you if you like natural tones. But these harmonicas are quite vulnerable to swelling when exposed to moisture.
- Plastic comb: plastic combs are the most common types of combs you can find in a harmonica as they demand lower maintenance. But they may not be as durable as metal harmonicas.
- Metal combs: metal combs are available in high-end harmonicas and demand higher prices. Although they are quite durable, they can still corrode.
4. Key selection
Harmonicas are available in all 12 musical keys and thus, you need to figure out your go-to key. It’s recommended to begin with a 10-hole diatonic harmonica on the C key and switch to other keys as you progress.
5. Harmonica’s cover plate design
Cover plates are responsible for producing acoustic sounds by resonating sounds. They may be available in the following designs.
- Open cover design: These traditional plastic or metal cover plates are generally screwed into their place and are generally found in budget or mid-range harmonicas.
- Cover-all design: these designs are known for producing louder sounds and can be found in premium harmonicas.
Knowing Your Genre
We talked about the three types of harmonicas available in the market, among which diatonic harmonica is the ideal harmonica for beginners. You need to know the genre for which you are going for a harmonica, some of which are given below.
- Jazz and classical music go best with chromatic harmonicas
- Asian folk music is popular among tremolo harmonica players
- Diatonic is the most versatile harmonica and is used for country, blues, and Gospel music.
Although there are several other harmonicas too, we don’t recommend them for beginners.
Best Harmonicas Reviews
Whether you are a beginner, an intermediate, or an advanced best harmonicas player, you still can get confused among the top harmonica brands as all these brands offer elite products. If you too are planning to invest in the best harmonicas, here are some good harmonicas that will satisfy you for sure.
Let’s begin with an ideal best harmonicas for beginners, which is multi-faceted enough to cater to all categories of diatonic harmonica lunatics. East Top’s 10 Holes harmonica is placed at the apex when it comes to note accuracy, appearance, and responsiveness.
- Crafted with the most accurate plastic comb and 1 mm bronze, electroplated, rust-proof, reed plate serves the player with rich sound and higher pitch.
- The ease of over-blowing and bending makes it the best blues harmonica.
- Pocket size harmonica is quite portable that can be carried anywhere.
- The best diatonic harmonica comes in vibrant packaging and can be an ideal birthday present.
- The harmonica is pretty affordable beginning with as low as USD 15, which makes it a good beginner harmonica.
- The manufacturer offers 30 days money-back guarantee.
EverJoys diatonic harmonica is the ideal product for those who are looking for the best cheap harmonica. The sound of this sober-looking product will leave you mesmerized with its rich notes, soothing sounds, and much more, making it the best harmonicas to buy.
- The versatile harmonica is proficient in playing rock, blues, folk, and country music.
- The product is compact enough to be carried in your pocket.
- EverJoys has designed a best in class product with an accurate steel comb, chrome cover, copper reed, and much more.
- The harmonica comes in elegant matte packaging with a red and black combination, which makes it stand out in your collection of harmonicas.
- The best harmonica brand also extends a 100% money-back guarantee on this product.
- The C-tuned 10 holes harmonica is greatly recommended for beginners.
- Extremely affordable
If you get blinded by the silvery shine of a harmonica, you’re probably looking at Anwenk’s 10-hole chromatic harmonica! Designed especially for producing aristocratic sounds, the best chromatic harmonica will surely prove to be a rockstar on the stage.
- Anwenk 40 tone chromatic harmonica can play half notes, which allows the player to play complex songs that can’t be played on diatonic harmonicas.
- The user can switch between full and half notes conveniently through a stainless steel button on the top of the harmonica.
- The product is crafted out of premium corrosion proof copper and phosphor bronze, which initiates better stability and natural sounds.
- Chromatic harmonica is great for chromatic harmonicas for bands.
- The C-tuned Round Hole surface produces purer sounds.
- The airtight structure of the product reduces moisture absorption.
Here is another premium chromatic harmonica by East top, which is known for producing aristocratic notes for the most soothing songs. Holding such a premium product in your hand will genuinely make you feel like a musical prince.
- East Top has crafted its chromatic harmonica with a 1.2 mm electroplated, phosphor bronze reed plate for sheer responsiveness, rich tone, higher pitch, and much more.
- The “no valve” design makes it the best professional harmonica.
- Talking about the appearance, the harmonica is incredibly stunning with a premium stainless steel cover along with East Top’s laser logo.
- The product comes with an exclusive package, which makes it a worthy gift option.
- The best harmonica brand offers an unconditional 30 days money-back guarantee on this product.
- The chromatic harmonica is quite easy to clean. All you need is 70% ethyl alcohol to clean this beautiful masterpiece.
- The product is extremely compact and can be carried anywhere in your pocket.
Enjoying a terrific presence in the musical industry, Randon is back with another elite harmonica. This harmonica drips out sheer extravagance with its shining gold chrome cover, making it one of the best cheap harmonicas available in the market.
- The manufacturer claims it to be a harmonica with the clearest and purest sound that will leave the listeners awestruck at the first sight.
- The C-key best harmonica is compatible with all types of music forms, including jazz, folk, blues, country, etc.
- The best harmonica to learn on is made out of 0.8mm copper reed for an exceptionally pleasant sound.
- The built-in airflow splitter initiates stable airflow into the harmonica so that the user can play it effortlessly (including beginners).
- The product is elegant enough to be gifted on birthdays, Christmas, New Year, etc.
- Randon also provides 7 days return policy on this product and thus, it’s one of the best harmonicas to buy.
Handcrafted with Suzuki’s Japanese technology, the manufacturer promises you the highest quality chromatic harmonicas in the industry. Suzuki’s Chromatix series is a flagship series of best harmonicas and thus, if you’re scouting for the best professional harmonica, Suzuki is for you.
- The harmony of innovation and tradition gave birth to the finest quality, ergonomic mouthpiece with the smoothest slide mechanism.
- The pleasantest notes are an outcome of a phosphor bronze reed plate, ABS comb, and chrome-plated cover.
- Designed with the trust of Suzuki, who is ruling the market since 1953.
- The 12-hole design enables the user to play the most complicated songs.
If tremolo harmonicas fascinate you, here is an exceptional product for you! The glamorous silver tremolo, paired with a black finish will leave spellbound, and definitely, the harmonica is unbeatable when it comes to performance.
- The timbre and sound of the tremolo are tuned specially for studio recordings.
- The phosphor bronze reed is extremely sensitive to sound, high durability, and clear intonation.
- Waterproof, non-toxic ABS comb and copper-nickel base plate give it unrivaled performance capabilities.
- Stainless steel cover plate with sailboat laser printing for an elegant look.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which is the best harmonica to buy?
Here are some of the best harmonicas that you can go for.
- East Top 10-hole 20 tones diatonic harmonica, C key
- EverJoys 10-hole Diatonic Harmonica – Blues Harp, C Key
- Anwenk Chromatic Harmonica 10 holes 40 tones, C Key
- East Top 12 holes 48 tones Chromatic Harmonica, C key
- Randon 10 holes 20 tones Blues Harmonica
- Suzuki SCX-48 Chromatix Series Harmonica
- Eastar 24 holes Tremolo Harmonica
The links to all these top harmonica brands are given in the reviews section.
Which harmonica is best for beginners?
It’s always advised to begin with diatonic harmonicas as they are much easier to play as compared to chromatic and tremolo. Here are some good diatonic harmonicas.
- East Top 10-hole 20 tones diatonic harmonica, C key
- EverJoys 10-hole Diatonic Harmonica – Blues Harp, C Key
The links to these good beginner harmonicas are given in the reviews section.
What key of harmonica should I get?
The key of C is generally the best harmonica key for blues among beginners. As you master this key, you can move on to harmonicas of other most popular harmonica keys as well.
How long do harmonicas last?
The lifespan of your harmonica will depend on how well you take care of it. it can last even for 8-10 years if you take care of it and may get ruined in 6 months if you don’t take care of it.
How long will it take to learn harmonica?
It may take you 3 to 6 months to learn a harmonica.
Do you have to tune a harmonica?
The tuning of a harmonica is possible but is not as simple as you do it in a guitar. You need to open the harmonica and thus, you need to check if the harmonica is tuned before you buy one
Is it ok to wash a harmonica?
Yes, it is ok to wash a harmonica. In fact, it is recommended to wash it regularly (if there is no wooden component in your harmonica).
Is playing the harmonica hard?
You can’t call it easy but surely, the harmonica is much easier to play as compared to guitar or keyboard.