Ukulele is one of the most aesthetic and mellow instrument that one can use to play beautiful acoustic versions of classical and pop songs. However, ukuleles come in various different sizes and types.
The two main types of ukulele based on size are soprano and concert. So how exactly are they both different from each other?
There are 4 different types of ukulele based on size namely-
- Small ukuleles give a more light, mellow and lively sound whereas big ukulele gives a deep and guitar-like sound.
- Both soprano and concert ukuleles are tuned in the same method and have the same notes. Due to this, the chords are also pretty much the same. Hence, if you know to play one of these ukuleles, then you will not find it difficult to play the other one.
Here are the points that make these ukuleles different from each other-
- Size of the ukulele – The soprano in smaller than concert by a few inches. The soprano is the smallest ukulele. These are both convenient for different people. If you have large hands then concert can come handy and if you have small hands, then soprano is just the right ukulele for you.
- The tone of the ukulele– Since the concert ukulele is large, it has a rich and guitar-like sound quality. Soprano, on the other hand, has a lively and small tone. It is very vibrant and aesthetic.
- Length of the scale– The distance between the saddle and the nut is the length of the scale. The fret spacing is the 3-inch largeness that concert has compared to the soprano.
- The spacing of the fret– The right amount of spacing between each consecutive fret can be the factor which will help give you an exceptional experience. This will let you know how easy it can be for your fingers to learn the chords. A soprano is a much-preferred option for people with tiny hands.
So both soprano and concert come with impeccable features. Whichever choice you make, I can assure you that you will have a lovely, delightful and exciting experience of learning how to play music on the ukulele.
Note-It is important to buy a ukulele which is both cost-friendly and also works exceptionally.
We hope that the above factors will help guide you into choosing the right ukulele or you.