It is highly important to know the basics of playing the ukulele. This might be turning to the ukulele, understanding the chord diagrams, making changes in the shape of the chord, and strumming the ukulele. Let us learn how do you strum a ukulele.
How do you strum a ukulele?
Here are a few ways to learn how to strum:
- Start with a loose fist. This is the primary strumming method and is the most important too. Your index finger of the right hand should be used for strumming and the fingernail should be positioned side down. So while strumming down, if your nails hit the strings, then you’re doing it right. Strum up with the soft tip of your finger.
- Now, you can start with a little more complex strumming. Learning different patterns of strumming can help you do so. A down-up-up-down pattern is a great start to this. Different strumming creates different rhythmic patterns.
- Learn the strumming notations- a few of the notations are- d: down strum and u: up strum. A few others are x which is a chuk, -: missed strum, (d) and (u) or d and u.
- Do not strum the ukulele very close to the bridge as it will not give you the sound you want to hear. These are called sweet spots.
- Don’t move your arms around in an up-and-down direction extremely fast. This will make you feel tired very fast. For strumming down, use the nail of your finger, and for strumming up; use the soft tip of the finger. Move your fingers slowly and gently. Few techniques that you can use while playing the ukulele are shuffle strums, simple strums, dead strums, and chuking.
Here are the most basic strumming patterns-
- 4/4- try counting along with the song you’re playing from 1 to 4, and if the 4 fits properly, then you can use it.
- 1: d – d u – u d – this pattern is almost found in all ukulele songs and is very convenient to play. It gives out an abbreviated feel.
- 2: d – d u – u d u- this pattern is very relatable to pattern 1. The only difference it has is it comes with one more up-string in the end.
These are a few of the most important patterns of strumming. There are many more that can be learned on enormous websites. How do you strum a ukulele? The above techniques are good for beginners and will surely help you in different ways.
Hi, I am William. I am a music enthusiast. I play the guitar and ukulele. I like to try out all instruments and review them, to help others make an informed decision. You must choose the right instrument to get that sweet sound you desire. When I am not on my instruments I will be found reading or cooking.