The violin is considered an important instrument as it can be played in a variety of different music and genres. It has four strings, and it is played by moving a bow across the strings. They are, used in folk music, country music, and bluegrass music. But do you know how to tune a violin? Electric violins have also become really popular as they are, used in rock and pop music.
The violin was introduced in 16th-century Italy. Later in the 18th and 19th centuries, it became more popular, and its sound was brought to notice. In countries like Europe, it became a source from which many other string instruments were developed. The strings of the best violin were initially made from the gut of the sheep which was dried, twisted, and stretched. Because they were made from gut they got bad very quickly and due to this, the sound changed. The strings became corrosive, and oil and dirt accumulated on it. Let us see how you can tune a violin on your own.
Various Instruments Using Which You Can Tune a Violin:
There are many possible options that you can use to tune a violin and, some of them are considered really good for beginners and, some are for experienced ones. Using these to tune your instruments will require no third person. So, here goes the list.
- A Tuner: This is every musician’s best friend. It is the best option for beginners and people who are starting to play the violin. The tuner can be placed near the instruments or attached to them. It will help you tune your violin, and you can use several strings at the same point in time without being confused. It will tell you how and when you go wrong.
- A Fork for Tuning: This is a complicated one. It is often said to an old-time tuner. The catch in this is that you have to be aware of the note that you want to hear otherwise it will not work properly. So, it is a complicated task. Therefore, you will rarely find any musician using it. But hey, no one is saying it is bad. You can try it and who knows it will prove to be resourceful for you.
- Mobiles and Tablets: Everyone has a phone now right? It is like a basic need. You can use your mobile phones or tablets to tune a violin too. It is really simple. You have to download an application that will help you tune the strings. There are plenty available on the app store.
- Use A Musician’s Violin: Yes, that is correct. If you happen to have a friend who plays the violin or any musician that has a violin you can take their instrument and use it. It might sound strange, but this technique works. They would have turned their violin before and if it is as per your note you can use it. It will save the efforts of tuning it yourself.
- An Effect Pedal: This is most preferable when you are in the mid of your performance may be a concert. In case you find a string that is not tuned that well or gets detuned you can use it in between the transitions and pedal your way to perfection.
If you have a perfectly tuned violin you will not require the above possible help. You are pitch-perfect.
How to Tune a Violin- A Classic One?
You can use the above tools for tuning the violin. Either sit or in your playing position, you can use the instrument and tune it. If you are doing it for the first time, then the sitting position will be appropriate and suitable. Once you are seated comfortably, place the instrument on your lap. Use the tuning item and reach the desirable tune. Pluck the string with your fingers and try to test whether you have tuned it. If required use the tailpiece to adjust the pitch and reach the accurate tune. Use the same process for every string.
What Are the Ideal Hand Positions to Tune an Electric Violin?
Ideal positions include: holding the violin between chin and shoulder, holding the bow with the right hand, and tuning with the left one until you get the perfect tune.
What Will Happen If the String Remains Un-Tuned but Was Tuned Earlier?
This problem can be due to the instrument not working properly. The string might not be attached to the peg carefully or must be loose. The bridge can be damaged. Or the tailpiece of your violin could be damaged. Only these reasons can make the tuned string back to un-tuned.
Why Does My String Break Every Time I Try To Tune It?
Try replacing your strings once. Then it will not break when you tune in. This issue comes when you do not change the strings for a long period. Choose a nice quality and make sure you change them once in a while. Even the strings get tensed if you play them for a long time.
Why Does Your Violin Go Out Of Tune Again And Again?
Certain external conditions affect the body of the violin and its strings. These include high temperature, humidity, and moisture. The material which it is made up of might react and cause the strings to go out of tune again and again. Make sure you store it nicely and play it for a longer time. In case you have just changed the strings, they will adjust faster so take proper care.
Should I Replace All The Strings At The Same Time?
This is a really important thing to note. Never change all the strings of your violin at the same time. Change one and take some time and then change the other one. Changing all of them at once can create issues and tensions.
Hi, I am William. I am a music enthusiast. I play the guitar and ukulele. I like to try out all instruments and review them, to help others make an informed decision. You must choose the right instrument to get that sweet sound you desire. When I am not on my instruments I will be found reading or cooking.