With so many different varieties of sizes, brands, and wood types to choose from, it can be quite a difficult task to choose the right ukulele for you. But when you finally pick the right ukulele, you can have the most joyous feeling. This article is going to help you understand the different types of ukulele and which one is the right type for you.
What are the 4 types of ukulele
Ukuleles can be in the form of 4 different sizes-
- The most primary and known ukulele size is the soprano. It features classical music which is why it is used by most of the ukulele players. It comes in a size of 20 inches.
- Tenor, however, is one of the most famous ukulele sizes. It has become very trendy in the last few years. It comes with a size of 26 inches. The main difference between this and the other ukuleles is that this one has a much deeper sound. It is used by famous musicians like James hill and is a great ukulele to use for acoustic covers as well as classics.
- The concert ukulele is a little bigger than the soprano. There is more space between the frets which is why the body is wider as well the neck longer. The sound of this ukulele is larger compared to the soprano. It can be used to play classical songs as well as the typical ones.
- The biggest ukulele is baritone. With a size of 30 inches, has the deepest sound structure to it. This is an uncommon ukulele and is not used by a lot of people. This ukulele sounds more like a guitar.
On the basis of wood type, the ukulele can be classified into-
- Most of the Hawaiian ukuleles are made up of koa because koa is found in Hawaii. This is one of the most pleasant ukuleles to use because ukuleles made up of koa moods have a very soothing sound. However, this wood is found on the pricey ukuleles.
- Mahogany, on the other hand, is much softer than koa in the sound structure. Mahogany although is still one of the best choices to make while buying the ukulele, is also cheaper than koi.
- The rest of the wood types aren’t very familiar which is why they aren’t used by many ukulele players.
With that said, size and wood type is most certainly the most important component while buying the right ukulele for you. Choosing the right size and the right wood type will definitely do you wonders.