Musical instruments are singularly capable of producing heart touching notes and beats all by themselves. However, accessories make sure that they enhance your experience. For a long time, many accessories have been coming up in the market that enables you to attach them to your musical instruments and dramatically change your playing experience.
By the title of this article, one would ask what a headphone amp is. You might have heard about the mainstream amplifier. Its work is to amplify the notes of your musical instrument. Similarly, the best guitar headphone amp amplifies the notes for your headset or headphones.
One more question that you would be having in your mind is that why you need an extra accessory when pretty much every instrument has a headphone jack in which you can easily insert your headset. However, professional musicians need to hear their music precisely to produce amazing pieces. This precision is barely available with mainstream headphones. A guitar headphone amplifier amplifies and clarifies all those notes and pitches so that all your musical pieces are precise and crisp.
- 1 How do I choose a Headphone Amp?
- 2 Here is the list of best guitar headphone amp for you
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions:
How do I choose a Headphone Amp?
Music has no bounds. Its applications and love are far beyond imagination. Now and then, new inventions pop up to further this love. While some enjoy loud music with people around them, some prefer to enjoy it personally with headphones and other devices.
Sometimes, people attach various additions to the music instruments for boosting pleasure and fun. These additions enhance the performance of the instrument and the quality of music produced. People who handle music instruments would be more familiar with the add-ons to the instruments.
A popularly used addition is a headphone amplifier for a guitar. A headphone amp or a guitar amplifier, in short, it is an electronic device that can strengthen the week signals from any type of guitar. This amplification is usually done to achieve the purpose of listening to music from a loudspeaker.
These amplifiers can modify the tunes by de-emphasizing and emphasizing certain notes. The input to these is fed from an electric guitar or a normal guitar using connecting chords. These are a great deal of fun and are capable of completely revamping the usual experience.
But we can’t pick up a random headphone amp and connect it to our guitars. This can sometimes damage the instrument completely. Mere negligence can lead us to lose our most loved guitar. So here is the simple guide to choosing a suitable headphone amp for a guitar.
Factors to look for:
These aid in choosing the perfect amplifier that can deliver uncompromising results while maintaining the quality of the guitar and the music from it. They are as follows:
The basic fact to keep in mind is that there are different types of amplifiers each with different features and outputs. They are designed based on different aspects like guitar types, individual choices, performance outputs, etc.
Some of the types are –Micro, Mini, etc. Each of these is unique that holds different functionalities and applications. So based on individual preferences, an amplifier can be chosen.
The key aspect to consider is the level of volume delivered by these devices. Many technologies are used in different amplifiers to boost their power so that they can produce louder volumes. But not all the amps need to deliver maximum sounds. Some people prefer moderate volumes rather than louder ones. There are a variety of amps that deliver moderate sounds too.
Distortions reduce the volumes as they counter the signal strength. But surprisingly, the present-day amplifiers come with this feature with a tweak in its applications. The modern amps add distortions and equalizations to the guitar signals so that the basic sounds from the guitar can be modified.
There are different control knobs for an amplifier with a specific function. They are volume, equalization, etc. In the modern amps, we usually find only a single knob to control the volume, and based on this choice the others are automatically adjusted within the device.
How can we enjoy the fruits of a headphone amp without proper connectivity options? A big disappointment right! But guess what? These amps come with different types of connectivity. While some support AUX cable and a headphone jack connection, the others provide a complete wireless Bluetooth connectivity.
Most of the present-day headphone amps are battery-powered. The lifetime offered isn’t the same for all of them. While some can last up to 5-6 hours on average, some of them can last for longer durations up to 17 hours. They are rechargeable and usually, a USB cable is used.
These are some of the widely familiar aspects that can help in choosing a headphone amp for a guitar.
Here is the list of best guitar headphone amp for you
Why is the VOX AP2BS amPlug 2 Guitar/Bass Headphone Amplifier the best guitar headphone amp for you? The features mentioned below will tell you exactly why.
- It comes in various variants. Few being- Bass, Blues, Classic Rock, Clean, Lead, and Metal.
- Has two connections- headphones out and aux in.
- It is powered by 2 AAA supply batteries.
- The Dimensions are: (W x D x H) 3.39 x 3.15 x 1.22” (86 x 80 x 31mm)
Here is what users had to say about this product.
- Great sound quality.
- No disturbance while playing.
- Adjustable volume, tempo, and three different levels which can be selected by a push-button.
- Durable and has less likelihood of breakage.
Features of the SONICAKE Guitar Headphone Amp Plug-In US Classic are:
- It is a headphone guitar amp that can easily fit into your pocket. However, don’t let its size fool you. It can amplify music notes from all genres like- blues and early classic rock era, The Rolling Stones’ Brown Sugar, and ZZ Top’s Brown Sugar.
- It comes with a built-in reverb effect that further enhances the notes.
- Since it has a headphone output it is perfect for practice at home when you don’t want to disturb anybody and also pre-concert practices.
- It is charged by a USB cable and once charges can be used to play for 5 hours straight.
- A USB charging cable is provided in the package.
- Easy installation and great sound effects.
Here is what users had to say about this product:
- Great sound quality and battery life.
- Value for money.
- Good for effective practice.
- Rechargeable battery that can be charged with a USB cable.
Features of the Kithouse B6 Guitar Headphone Amp Mini Plug Guitar Amplifier that may make it the best guitar headphone amp for you are:
- It is suitable for Electric Guitar, Bass guitar, Electric Acoustic Guitar it and other musical instruments as well.
- Can be attached to headphones or speakers.
- Has an adjustable volume switch.
- Comes with a 30 days money back policy and 12-month free replacement policy as well.
Why did users think the Kithouse B6 Guitar Headphone Amp Mini Plug Guitar Amplifier was the best guitar headphone amp for them? Read on to find out.
- Travel friendly as it easily fits into your pocket. Perfect for musicians who need to travel a lot for shows and concerts.
- It is the best headphone amp in its budget.
- It is very easy to use.
- Effective and serves its purpose.
Features of the Donner Guitar Headphone AMP Heavy Metal Pocket FX Chorus Rechargeable Mini Practice Amplifier are:
- Excellent sound.
- Also comes with a chorus mode.
- Powered by a USB charging cable and can work non-stop for 5 hours after being fully charged once.
- Very small in size and easy installation.
- Comes with a 30 days unconditional money back policy.
Here is what, according to the buyers makes this the best guitar headphone amp for you.
- Sounds amazing.
- Easily adjustable volume and modes.
- Ensures that there is no distortion during playing.
- Can be used for those long practice sessions because of the longevity of the battery life.
Features of the NUX GP-1 Classic Rock Guitar Plug Headphone Amp are:
- It works without a battery and can be charged with a USB cable.
- The gain and tone level can be easily adjusted.
- Produces perfectly pitched sounds.
- Perfect for one to one practice sessions.
Users who said that the NUX GP-1 Classic Rock Guitar Plug Headphone Amp turned out to be the best guitar headphone amp for them particularly liked certain features as mentioned below:
- Value for money.
- Produces great tones without any distortion.
- Travel friendly.
- Efficient functionality and durability.
If you have been looking for a guitar amp you would already know why it is a tedious and confusing job to find the best guitar headphone amp in the market. Due to such massive availability, it indeed isn’t the easiest task. However, with proper research and information, you can indeed find a guitar amp that serves the purpose well and adds beauty to your musical experience.
Guitar amps are perfect if you are a budding musician who wants to practice in the comfort of their own houses without disturbing anyone. It is also best for musicians who love one to one practice sessions. Whether you are a beginner or an expert musician, a guitar headphone amp is a must-have accessory.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Are there different types of Guitar Headphone Amplifiers?
There are different types of amplifiers. Mostly, they fall under 2 categories – Micro or Bug-type; Mini or Box type.
Bug Type –These are the tiniest and can easily fit within the palms. They come with a built-in cable and so there’s no need for external wires. To increase portability and ease of usage, they use the AAA type batteries instead of external adapters.
Compact Box Type –These also are miniature bodies but they need external cables to be connected to a guitar. Some of these use adaptors and some come with batteries. They come with additional external speakers if you wish to project the outputs to a small group of people.
What headphones work with a guitar amp?
The modern guitar amps come with a dedicated headphone jack to increase the connectivity. Just by plugging in the headphone in the respective jack is all that needs to be done. Usually, it is a 3.5mm jack that is used for most of the headphones while some use a 6.33mm one that requires an adapter to be connected.
So any headphones with a 3.5mm jack can be connected to the amps. But if you wish to buy a headphone that works best for this purpose, there are many variants available online.
What is the best guitar amplifier brand?
Well, numerous brands are manufacturing the headphone amps for guitars. Each brand uses different designs and delivers a different output. Some of the best brands available to us are –Sonicake, Vox, Donner, Kithouse, Nux, etc.
These brands are the best in most of the aspects including performance, connectivity, battery life, volume controls, etc. They are also budget-friendly.
Is it worth getting a headphone amp?
Being a relatively low-powered amplifier amplifies the weak signals and delivers better results. They greatly help in understanding different tones and notes of music aiding in playing the instrument better. So while figuring out the music outputs alone, these amplifiers are of great help.
Is 1 ohm bad for an amp?
The essential thing to remember is that that the amp should never be set to higher ohms than the speakers. If it is done this way, there are maximum chances of damaging the speaker as the power output is more than the speaker’s capacity.
As long as this is kept in mind, a 1- ohm amp is good to go with. It is only necessary to match the ohms of the amp according to the speakers.
Does a preamp improve sound quality?
A good preamp is known to minimize bad sounds and disturbances considerably. A combination of good speakers and preamp can improve the quality of sounds.