Chromatic harmonica is a kind of harmonica and it is equipped with a button-activated sliding bar which helps in redirecting the air to the selected reed-plate from the hole in the mouthpiece. It is also known as a French harp or mouth organ. There are six types of harmonica such as chromatic harmonica, diatonic harmonica, tremolo harmonica, orchestral harmonica, ChengGong harmonica, and pitch pipe. Chromatic harmonicas are the best and most famous harmonica as it’s sound is unique. In this article, we have made your work easy by searching for the best chromatic harmonica available in the market.
Best Chromatic Harmonica – Buying Guide
Before buying harmonica users need to consider some basic properties like pitch range, tonal quality, and playability. There are also other variations and factors to keep in mind.
Factors to consider before buying a Chromatic Harmonica
- Number of holes: The number of holes varies from instruments to instruments. Usually, chromatic harmonicas have 12 to 16 holes. The number of notes is three times the number of holes, which means if a harmonica has 12 holes then it will have 48 notes. So it is advised to choose a harmonica with a maximum number of holes as the range of music increases with the increasing number of holes. If you are a beginner then you should start with a harmonica with 12 holes. Once you become familiar with it you can get a harmonica with more holes and play every type of music.
- Material: There is a chance of rusting if you use it for years. As the rusting starts you it will be hard to play and you will face other difficulties. So it’s important to check the material of the harmonica before buying it. Stainless steel or copper made harmonicas are the best choice for you.
- Type of harmonica: You also have to check whether the harmonica is pinned together or screwed together. Airtight harmonicas are the best. So screwed together harmonicas are the better choice. You can easily change the reed plates of screwed together harmonicas. If you choose a pinned-together harmonica then you might face problems while playing.
There are different types of keys available in the market but the C key is the ideal one. C-key is the most common key in different kinds of instruments. So if you play in a group you should get a harmonica with a C key.
- Budget: If you’re a beginner, then you should buy a product that is easy to operate, and you can learn from it to gain experience. Also if you’re learning then you should buy a pocket-friendly yet a handy product. If you keep in mind all these points you can buy the best chromatic harmonica. Let’s dive into the list of best chromatic harmonica for different users.
Best Chromatic Harmonica Reviews
Let’s begin with one of the best harmonica specialists. Swan music store also manufactures melodicas and recorders. The swan music store is also quite popular for its vivid range of harmonicas. This harmonica is very handy for the beginners and is easy to operate by the beginners.
- Made of highly durable metal.
- Quality brass is used to make the reeds.
- It has 10 holes and a wide range of more than 40 notes.
- Tuned in the C key.
- The slider is designed with precision for perfect intonation.
- It’s quite eye-catching and has a polished silver look.
- It comes with a hard case.
- It is the best chromatic harmonica for beginners.
Then, you can also try Anwenk professional-grade chromatic harmonica. Professional musicians usually use this harmonica, but it’s straightforward to play. Also, its available at a pocket-friendly price which makes it a great product. It’s suitable for all types of music.
- It is a 10 hole chromatic harmonica that can play up to 40 notes.
- Tuned in standard C key
- It has Phosphor Bronze keys.
- It has perfect intonation and produces a clear sound.
- The reed plates are made of copper.
- Its body is made of stainless steel which makes it durable.
- The holes have smooth edges for better performance.
- It comes with a hard case and a cleaning kit.
- It is available in both black and silver.
Suzuki is a prestigious name in the instrument market and there is no need for an introduction for it. It is the best chromatic harmonica brand. Suzuki SCX-64 Chromatix Series Deluxe 12-Holes C Key is an amazing product for professionals. It is the best chromatic harmonica for classical music. It has an ABS comb.
- It’s a 12 hole chromatic harmonica.
- It’s completely handcrafted by professional instrument makers.
- The slider provides perfect intonation.
- The reed plates are made of Phosphor Bronze.
- Its covers are chrome plated.
- It’s airtight build for smooth action.
- It comes with a case.
- It’s suitable for both beginners and professionals.
This is one of the renowned brands for producing top quality music instruments. They make one of the finest chromatic harmonicas. This range of harmonicas is also called as chromonicas. It’s budget friendly. It’s the best chromatic harmonica for blues. It has 64 reeds and they are made of brass.
- It’s a 16 hole chromatic harmonica.
- Its mouthpiece is brass and nickel-plated.
- Its cover is made of stainless steel.
- You can play four complete octaves.
- Its comb is made of durable ABS.
- Tuned in the C key.
- It comes with a hard case for carrying purposes.
- It is the best chromatic harmonica for beginners and serious students.
Kmise is known for making string instruments but they also manufacture top-notch harmonicas. It is the best chromatic harmonica brand. It’s a professional-grade pocket-friendly product with a reliable customer service. It’s quite popular among users. It comes with two case options: beige and black.
- It’s 10 holes chromatic harmonica
- You can play up to 40 tones.
- Reeds have a 0.3 mm gap in between them.
- Its airtight sealing technique prevents it from sticking.
- The reeds are made of Phosphor and Bronze.
- Its body is made of Stainless steel and copper plating.
- It has around mouthpiece for ease of play and square holes for better reception.
- It is tuned by professional tuners for great intonation.
- Its optical mouthpiece helps conserve breath.
Hohner Chromatic Harmonica is one of the best chromatic harmonicas. This model is an absolute masterpiece. It’s pocket friendly and easy to use. Beginners can easily operate this product. It is the best chromatic harmonica for blues. Also, it is the best chromatic harmonica for classical music.
- It’s a 16 hole chromatic harmonica with 64 reeds.
- The reed plates are 1.05 mm wide for perfect intonation and are made of brass.
- Its comb is made of high-quality plastic.
- The body is made of stainless steel.
- Tuned in the C key.
- It has a silver-plated mouthpiece for better performance.
- It has a warmer and mellow tonal quality.
It’s another awesome product from Anwenk. It’s used by both professionals and beginners. It’s easy to use and pocket friendly. Its holes are round and have smooth edges. Its design is airtight design for maximum playability. Also, it is handy and pocket friendly.
- It’s a 10 hole chromatic harmonica.
- With this you can play up to 40 tones.
- Its body and switch are made of stainless steel which makes it long-lasting.
- It has phosphor bronze sound springs.
- Anti-corrosion copper used in the build prevents it from oxidation.
- Tuned in the C key.
- It comes with a cleaning kit and a durable plastic hard case.
Last but not the least, we have picked chromatic harmonica from the swan music store. It’s a beautiful piece and easy to use. It’s pocket friendly and the best choice for a beginner. The mouthpiece is courtyard style and metal plated. Users can play three full octaves.
- It’s a 12 hole chromatic harmonica that can play up to 48 tones.
- Its body is made of copper chrome plated silver.
- It has copper seat plates and a resin piano.
- Reeds are made of phosphor and bronze.
- It’s ideal for beginners as numbers are engraved on the mouthpiece.
- Its open bottom design increases the sound.
- Made with rust-free formula.
So, that’s it. We are done with our list of best chromatic harmonica available in the market. When we were hunting these products we have checked their ratings and customer reviews and based on that we have selected the best eight products. Now, its your turn to pick the best product that fulfills all your requirements and needs.
Is chromatic harmonica difficult to play?
Ans: Yes, chromatic harmonicas are difficult to play compared to other harmonicas. So, we will recommend you to start with other instruments before you try chromatic harmonicas.
How much is a chromatic harmonica?
Ans: There is a wide price range available in the market from $120 – $ 250 for chromatic harmonicas. Do choose the product which matches your price range.
How do you play a chromatic harmonica?
Ans: All you need to do is use a button-activated sliding bar. You can redirect air with the help of the sliding bar to the reed-plate from the hole present in the mouthpiece. Also, users can see online tutorials or join classes to learn how to play chromatic harmonicas.
Which is better chromatic or diatonic harmonica?
Ans: Chromatic harmonicas are better but difficult to play when compared to diatonic harmonica.
What key chromatic harmonica should I buy?
Ans: First you need to understand that what you want to play and whether you want high or low musical notes from your harmonica. Unlike diatonic harmonicas, chromatics cannot be used in all keys. Till now C is one of the most popular bars. So, keep in mind that whenever we talk about chromatic harmonicas then users should prefer to buy C key chromatic harmonica.