Are you someone who has just bought the best beginner banjo and is looking for the perfect pickup? In case you are wondering what a pickup is, it is a tool that helps to amplify the natural sound of your banjo. It is used in most other musical instruments too for the same purpose.
The best banjo pickup is the perfect way to convert the original sound of your banjo to an electrical sound that can be amplified. Any banjo player would know the importance of having the best banjo pickup in her possession. But choosing a banjo pickup cannot be very easy, especially if you have not had any prior experience in choosing pickups.
A pickup is as important to a banjo player as a banjo tuner is.
But how do you know which is the best banjo pickup for your instrument? How do you choose which is better over others? If you are confused about all of this, do not worry. We are here to help you.
Best Banjo Pickup – Buying Guide
Here are some of the important factors that you could keep in your mind while shopping for banjo pickups. These could help you find the best one for your banjo.
Factors about Best Banjo Pickup
- One of the first things you should look for while buying a banjo pickup is the ease of installation.
- An easy-to-install banjo pickup is always preferred over the ones that require a professional and complicated installation and set-up process.
- The budget is another important factor to check for while choosing pickups for your banjo.
- Do make sure you have a set budget before you start shopping for a pickup for your banjo. There are some great pickups you could get for a low price too.
- Make sure the pickup you choose for your banjo does not interfere with the natural and true sound of your instrument.
- Your pickup should only amplify the banjo sound without affecting the quality of the original sound.
- The quality of the pickup is another factor to look for while selecting one for your banjo.
- Make sure you buy a banjo pickup that has a superior build quality so that it lasts long.
These are just some of the things you could keep in your mind. They can help you choose a great pickup for your banjo.
Best Banjo Pickup Reviews
Now, to make things easier for you, here is a list of 7 of the best banjo pickups you could buy. All of them are of wonderful quality and will strengthen the sound of your banjo while not compromising on the original quality.
This banjo pickup is one of the best that is available. It is made and encased with tonewood. The pickup is lightweight, and the BP-1 sensor can easily be installed on the side of the bridge of your banjo. It is a great pickup for your banjo.
Weighing 1.06 ounces, this helps to capture the naturally amplified sound from your banjo in a very unique way. The best thing about this product is that it requires no changes to be made to the bridge of the banjo instrument. It is easy to attach and remove this pickup, and this makes it portable and easy to carry around.
If you have more than one banjo, then you can easily move this pickup piece amongst them all. It gives great-quality sound at a reasonable volume. It also fits on the bridge very snugly, and you will be impressed with the sound quality produced.
- This KNA BP-1 uses a standard ¼’ cable and has an easy on and easy off installation.
- It provides great sound and the volume is just right. The quality and volume are great.
- This banjo pickup piece is best in delivering the natural sound of your banjo instrument.
- No modifications are required to be made in the banjo or the bridge while installing this pickup.
- The casing of the sensor is wooden and it is very lightweight, making it easy to carry around.
- You can detach or remove this banjo pick up whenever you want or you can keep it installed on the bridge even when you are not using it.
- This banjo pickup also accepts a standard ¼’ cable or jack, making this very convenient.
This Schatten banjo pickup is one of the best banjo pickups you could choose for your instrument. It contains the Schatten BJ-02 sensor and the product is designed to be suitable for any type of banjo. This banjo pickup also comes with a metal jack assembly that has been mounted externally on this pickup.
Any banjo instrument, be it five-string, six-string, or even tenor, will sound great using this pickup with an external jack. The installation of this product is very easy. It takes about 10 minutes to install and anything you might need is included in the package. It is a non-damping pickup and is the best Schatten banjo pickup that you can buy.
The product is made to not interfere with the output sound and the natural acoustic tone of the instrument. The pickup can be placed directly under the center foot of the bridge on the underside of the banjo head. This is possible on banjos with a bridge of 3 feet.
Now, on tenor banjos or banjos with a bridge of 2 feet, you can install this pickup on the underside of the head and under the bass side bridge foot. These placements allow the sensor on the pickup to pick the sound of the banjo.
- This banjo pickup includes an external jack that is rail-mounted onto the sensor of the pickup.
- It is perfect for all banjos and can be installed on any type of banjo.
- No drilling is required to install this product. It barely takes 10 minutes and is easy to attach to the banjo bridge.
- This banjo pickup has a 2-year warranty on the product.
- It is a very durable banjo pickup and you can use the epoxy provided by Schatten itself to stick it to the banjo bridge.
- This product does not interfere with the sound of your banjo and even the jack that is attached requires no change while installing.
This Fishman banjo pickup will be great for your instrument and is designed to preserve the natural sound of the banjo. This product includes a humbucking coil, a powerful magnet assembly, and a pre-amp. The pickup usually fits dual coordinator rod instruments and can even be modified to fit onto banjos with single rods.
The pre-amp is specially designed to preserve the natural sound of the banjo while strengthening and enhancing the same. A professional installation process is recommended for this product. It comes with clips that are super-tight and you can widen them accordingly to fit your bridge.
This pickup is one that sure will “pick up” the banjo sound and you will love it from the moment you start playing it. This Fishman banjo pickup will amplify your banjo the way you want it. It is pretty easy to install, especially if you are choosing a professional to do so.
The natural and acoustic sound of the banjo is amplified to produce a bright yet unobtrusive output sound.
- The battery in this banjo pickup has a life of over 5000 hours, making it the perfect product for your instrument.
- It contains a humbucking coil and a powerful magnet assembly of neodymium.
- The pre-amp is made to amplify the sound while preserving the natural sound of the banjo.
- It will easily fit any dual-coordinator rod instruments though it can be modified to fit single-rod banjos too.
- A professional installation of this pickup is recommended for your banjo.
This K&K banjo pickup is exactly what you need to enhance the sound from your banjo. It will reproduce the natural and original sound of your banjo without compromising on its quality. Very little effect will be done on the natural true acoustic tone of the banjo.
No modification or alteration needs to be done to your beloved banjo to install this K&K banjo pickup. This particular twin banjo pickup can be installed simply by using self-adhesive fasteners or double side tape. None of this will damage or harm your banjo and it also allows for easy removal of the twin pickup.
Any residue of the adhesive can be removed with WD-40. The banjo twin pickup from K&K works best in passive mode. Using acoustic amps can enhance this performance. This banjo pickup is installed inside the banjo using self-adhesive fasteners that have been specifically designed for this installation. They are applied only on the outer side of the pickups during the process.
This banjo pickup also comes with a multi-use endpin jack that can be installed in 3 different ways. You can mount the jack outside the banjo or on the outer rim of the instrument. You can even mount it using internal drilling. If being mounted outside, then the jack can be installed and detached easily whenever required.
- This is a dual-sensor banjo pickup system that can be installed on your musical instrument to amplify the true sound.
- It is a passive system and requires no batteries for the usage of this twin banjo pickup.
- The pickup is very easy to install on your banjo and it can be done using self-adhesive fasteners.
- It contains a jack that can be mounted on the banjo in multiple ways.
- This banjo pickup is made in the USA and amplifies the true sound of the banjo without compromising the quality.
This SMP+ magnetic banjo pickup from Gold Tone is an upgraded version of the original SMP banjo pickup. The original one required soldering or a hole to be cut in the rim for it to be installed on the banjo. The SMP+ has a cable length that is long enough to be connected between the pickup and the connector.
Using this banjo pickup allows you to control the feedback very easily. Another feature that makes this one of the best banjo pickups is that it does not require any batteries to function. It is an excellent pickup and the perfect one for your banjo!
This banjo, though, designed to usually be set up with double-rod banjos can be modified to be used with single-rod banjos too. The installation process is also very easy and can be done with just basic guiding videos that you can find. It amplifies and strengthens the original sound of the banjo while not decreasing the quality of the natural sound.
- You can install this banjo pickup anywhere on the rod and this is a great feature.
- The pickup comes with an output jack along with a mounting plate and 2 screws and nuts required for mounting.
- The accessory kit includes 3 stick wire clamps and a hex wrench along with the system.
- The SMP magnetic banjo pickup consists of a slotted bracket along with 2 screws and wing nuts for installation.
- It will work even better with an acoustic amp if you plan to use one.
This banjo pickup has been designed in a very compact way for the ease of customers. It has a soft rubber fluted volume knob to help you control the volume of the output sound. It works on batteries and has long battery life. This battery is included along with the package.
Another thing that you will find along with the system is all the hardware required for mounting the pickup to your banjo. This product which has been made in the USA is one of the best banjo pickups for your banjo. The powered pre-amp strengthens the sound of the banjo.
The best part is that even though it amplifies the natural sound of the banjo, it does not affect the true, original quality of the sound. You will not be able to say the difference between the quality of the amp sound and the banjo sound other than the volume.
- This banjo pickup comes with a flexible micro-gooseneck that helps to pick up the natural and original sound and tone of your instrument.
- The product is internally powered and it is fully equipped to produce the richest sound that is made by your instrument.
- There are 3 ways to mount this banjo pickup on to your instrument. All the hardware that is required for this is included in this.
- This pickup for your banjo comes with an active preamp.
- The battery for this pickup is pre-installed and the surety of the pickup is made sure of before delivery.
This banjo pickup has been manufactured by L.R. Baggs and is one of the best banjo pickups you can choose. It will suit your banjo perfectly and will not affect the quality of the sound in the slightest. The installation process is also very easy so that you can mount the pickup easily.
This product is great at picking up sounds from your banjo and is the best to mix it well with other instruments. The simple-set up and installation process are what make it so popular among banjo players. The banjo pickup from L.R. Baggs comes along with a fully custom jack and a wonderful mounting system.
It is an extremely reliable and simple to install mounting system. The product is also compatible technically and aesthetically with many types of banjos.
- The miniature vibrator sensor has been molded directly into a 5/8” banjo bridge by L.R. Baggs.
- The pickup picks up the characteristic and natural sound of the banjo effortlessly and amplifies it.
- It does not alter any acoustic properties or tone qualities while doing this.
- This banjo pickup comes with a custom jack and mounting system along with the product.
- It is very easy to install and can be set up in just a few minutes.
This was our list of some of the best banjo pickups you can choose from. They will help enhance and strengthen the sound of your banjo while also not compromising on the tone quality of the same. They are perfect and necessary tools for any banjo performer.
We hope you found the best banjo pickup for clawhammer and the feather banjo pickup that will suit your banjo. It helps to go through all the features of each of these pickups before you choose one. The right one and the best banjo pickup will enhance the banjo musical experience for you.
How much does a decent banjo cost?
A good banjo could cost you anywhere between the price range of $50-$3000. If you are a beginner, you could easily buy a best banjo pickup set that costs as low as $150. The more you learn the instrument, the more you might need a better banjo. It is safer to buy a cheap one at first if you are not sure whether you will stick with it or not.
However, if you plan to stick to a banjo, it would be good to buy a great quality banjo. This can be between the price ranges of $300-$425.
What is a Banjo pickup?
If you play the banjo, then you know that, despite the banjo being a loud instrument, it is also very difficult to amplify one. This is an issue most banjo performers face. Hence, they use a pickup to “pick up” the natural sounds of the banjo and amplify them.
Pickups come in many types and you can choose one which suits your banjo the most.
How does one install a pickup on a banjo?
The installation of a banjo pickup on the instrument solely depends on the type of pickup and banjo being used. Most of the banjo pickups come with instruction on how to install them on to your banjo. While some require professional installation, some pickups can be installed or mounted using self-adhesive fasteners, etc.
Is it hard to learn to play the banjo?
Even though a banjo is a hard instrument to learn to play, it is not impossible. The 5 string banjo is one of the best places to start with. Playing the banjo could be very satisfying and the sound of the banjo is unique and beautiful. The 5 string banjo’s standard tuning is an open G tuning and this is what makes it easier to learn comparatively.
Hi, I am William. I am a music enthusiast. I play the guitar and ukulele. I like to try out all instruments and review them, to help others make an informed decision. You must choose the right instrument to get that sweet sound you desire. When I am not on my instruments I will be found reading or cooking.